Helpful Hints for Completing the Examining/Employment Application - CMS100
Information provided on the CMS100 application is used to determine your eligibility for appointment to a State of Illinois position title. Thus it is critical that all information requested be provided accurately and completely. Omitted, incomplete or inconsistent information may result in the application being returned to you or the issuance of an ineligible grade for the position title.
The Signature Section is at the bottom of the first page of the application in the Signature Section. Be sure to carefully read the information provided in this section. Then sign your name and provide a date in the space provided. Applications that are submitted unsigned will not be processed and will be returned to the applicant.
Position Title/Option (Section 1)
Provide the full name of the position title and option, if applicable, for which you want to apply in the space provided. Applications submitted to the Division of Examining & Counseling with abbreviated titles, incorrect titles, or titles with only one word of a title name may be returned to the applicant unprocessed. You may leave the position title\option field blank when meeting with a career counselor for a counseling session.
Personal Information (Sections 2 through 5)
Make sure the personal information provided on the application in these sections is current and legible. A Social Security number (Section 3) must be provided in order for the application to be processed. Social Security numbers are used in the application and employment processes to identify and differentiate between candidates and/or employees. Confidentiality of Social Security numbers obtained through this application process will be preserved as prescribed by 5 ILCS 179 et seq.
Driver's License (Section 6)
Provide all information requested, note any restrictions, and check the applicable license classification box.
County Choice (Section 7)
Applicants may select up to two work county preferences for each title for which they apply. To help with your selection, a county map
is available. After receiving a grade for a position title, if you would like to change your work county preference, you may do so by completing a Change
of Information Form (CMS-263) and submit it to:
Examining & Counseling Division
401 S. Spring Street
500 Stratton Office Building
Springfield, IL 62706
If you wish to change the county preference, you do not need to resubmit a CMS100.
The map and form are in PDF format and may be viewed/completed/printed using Acrobat Reader.
Fired From a Job/State Educational Loan Default (Section 10)
If you answer "yes" to either question in this section, you must provide a detailed explanation as to the circumstances in the space provided. Applicants who do not submit an
explanation will receive a grade of "incomplete."
Note: Pursuant to Public Act 93-0211, effective January 1, 2004, (20 ILCS 2630/12 (a)) applicants seeking employment with the State of Illinois are not obligated to disclose an arrest or conviction record that has been expunged or sealed. Employers may not ask if an applicant has had records expunged or sealed. Public Act 93-0211 does not apply to law enforcement agencies, the Department of Corrections, State's Attorney or other prosecutors.
Business, Trade, Correspondence School (Section 12)
When completing this section, please make sure you list the name of the school(s) (other than 2 or 4 year college degree programs) you attended, as well as the dates of attendance, subjects, course length, and indicate if you completed the course. Failure to do so may result in no credit given in the grading process.
Technical/Professional License (Section 13)
Certain position titles require that the applicant possess certain licensure or certification. Provide information on any technical or professional license(s) you possess. Include the license number, state where it was issued, and the issuance and expiration dates.
Colleges/Universities Attended (Section 14)
It is necessary that you individually list all undergraduate (2-year and 4-year institutions) and graduate colleges and universities that you have attended in the
space provided. Record actual total semester or quarter hours, major and minor fields of study (do not abbreviate), dates of attendance, and levels and dates of any degrees you earned.
If you received your undergraduate Bachelor's degree from a four year institution in less than three calendar years, you should attach a copy of your official undergraduate transcript in order to verify the attainment of your degree.
Failure to provide complete and accurate information regarding your entire undergraduate and graduate educational history will result in you receiving no credit for your educational
attainment, which may adversely impact your final eligibility grade.
Certain position titles may require that the applicant possess college coursework credit in specific fields of study. Thus, you should provide credit hour information (semester and quarter / undergraduate and graduate) in the fields of study table presented in the application. Do not include courses more than once or lump all coursework into one or two fields of study.
Note: If you received your degree in a foreign country, refer to the information found at the bottom of this page.
Work History (Section 15)
- List all previous employment beginning with your most recent position. If you have an extensive work history with the same employer, list each position and title separately. No experience credit will be assigned to positions “lumped” together in a single work history report.
- Be sure to include the number of hours you worked per week or month. Applicants will receive no credit for their experience if this information is omitted or if "hours vary" is indicated. If you report working in two or more positions during the same period of time and the total number of hours worked per week in these positions total more than 60 hours per week, you should provide a breakdown of each position with respect to beginning and ending dates and the number of hours worked per week. Or, attach a signed statement to the application verifying that the overlapping positions were worked on a full-time basis.
- In order to receive appropriate credit in the grading process, provide a complete and accurate description of essential job duties in each position that you have held and are reporting on your application. If you were responsible for supervising subordinates in any of these positions, provide details regarding your supervisory responsibilities and indicate the number of staff you supervised.
- Salary and dates of employment should be listed as accurately as possible.
- Supervisory responsibilities and complete descriptions of job duties are essential to provide include on your application in order to receive full credit.
- Military experience should include dates of service and duties assigned with each change in rank or title listed separately (indicate grade E-1, O-1, etc.). Also, be sure to specify if you served in a part-time or full-time capacity during your service time for each rank.
- If additional space is needed for your work history, you may add attachments provided they follow the format of this application and include all information requested.
- Include related professional volunteer experience as well as any college internships/practicum successfully completed.
Completed and signed applications for position titles that do not require an automated multiple choice test should be submitted to: CMS, Examining Division, Room 500 Stratton Building, Springfield, IL 62706.
For Degrees From a Foreign Country
In order to determine the equivalent number of semester/quarter hours of credit you possess (in American University terms), please contact one of the organizations listed below for credential evaluation procedure and cost.
- Consultancy on International Education (CIE)
P.O. Box 2792
Champaign, Illinois 61825-2792
- World Education Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 11623
Chicago, Illinois 60611-0623
- Foreign Academic Credentials Services
Evaluator, Foreign Academic Credentials
P.O. Box 400
Glen Carbon, Illinois 62034
- Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53203
- World Education Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 745
Old Chelsea Station
New York, New York 10011
- International Consultants of Delaware, Inc
109 Barksdale Professional Center
Newark, Delaware 19711