Helpful Hints for Completing the Examining/Employment Application - CMS 100 [PDF, 248KB]
Omitting any of this information may result in an ineligible grade.
Position Title/Option (Section 1)
Fill in the full name of the position title and option, if applicable, for which you want to apply. Applications with abbreviated titles, incorrect titles, or titles with only one word of a title name may be returned to the applicant unprocessed. Leave the position title\option field blank when meeting with a career counselor for a counseling session.
Personal Information (Sections 2 through 5)
Make sure any personal information given on the application is current and legible.
Driver's License (Section 6)
List all information requested and check the applicable box.
County Choice (Section 7)
Applicants may select up to two work county preferences for each title for which they apply. To help with your
selection, a county map [PDF,
27k] is available. If, at any time, after submitting your application you would like to change your work county
preference, you may do so by completing a Change
of Information Form (CMS-263) [PDF, 13k] and submit it to:
Examining & Counseling Division
401 S. Spring Street
500 Stratton Office Building
Springfield, IL 62706
The map and form are in PDF format and may be viewed/completed/printed using Acrobat Reader.
Fired From a Job/Criminal Offense/Educational Loan (Section 9)
If you answer "yes" to any of the questions in this section, you must attach a signed, detailed explanation. Applicants who do not submit a detailed explanation will receive a grade of "incomplete," pursuant to Public Act 93-0211, effective January 1, 2004, (20 ILCS 2630/12 (a)) applicants seeking employment with the State of Illinois are not obligated to disclose an arrest or conviction record that has been expunged or sealed. Employers may not ask if an applicant has had records expunged or sealed. Public Act 93-0211 does not apply to law enforcement agencies, the Department of Corrections, State's Attorney or other prosecutors.
Business, Trade, Correspondence School (Section 12)
When completing this section, please make sure you list the name of the school(s) (other than 2 or 4 year college degree programs) you attended, as well as the dates of attendance, subjects, course length, and indicate if you completed the course. Failure to do so may result in no credit given.
Technical/Professional License (Section 13)
Enter any technical or professional license(s) you may possess. Include the license number, state where it was issued, and the issuance and expiration dates.
Colleges/Universities Attended (Section 14) *(see reverse)
It is necessary that you individually list any undergraduate or graduate courses you have taken. Indicate the actual total semester or quarter hours, dates of attendance, and levels and dates of any degrees you earned. Do not abbreviate your major and minor fields of study. Failure to do so may result in no credit given.
Work History (Section 15)
- List all previous employment beginning with your most recent position. If you have an extensive work history with the same employer, list each position and title separately.
- Be sure to include the number of hours you worked per week or month. Applicants receive no credit if this area is either left blank or if they simply indicate, "hours vary."
- Salary and dates of employment should be listed as accurately as possible.
- Supervisory responsibilities and descriptions of job duties are essential to receive full credit.
- Military experience should include dates of service and duties assigned with each change in rank or title listed separately (indicate grade E-1, O-1, etc.).
- If additional space is needed for your work history, you may add attachments provided they follow the format of this application.
- Include related professional volunteer experience.
Written Signature (Section 17)
An original signature and date is required on each application you submit.
Applications for position titles that do not require an automated multiple choice test, or which are from the Group B list, should be submitted to: CMS, Examining Division, Room 500 Stratton Building, Springfield, IL 62706.
For Degrees From a Foreign Country
In order to determine the equivalent number of semester/quarter hours of credit you possess (in American University terms), please contact one of the organizations listed below for credential evaluation procedure and cost.
- Consultancy on International Education (CIE)
P.O. Box 2792
Champaign, Illinois 61825-2792
- World Education Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 11623
Chicago, Illinois 60611-0623
- Foreign Academic Credentials Services
Evaluator, Foreign Academic Credentials
P.O. Box 400
Glen Carbon, Illinois 62034
- Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53203
- World Education Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 745
Old Chelsea Station
New York, New York 10011
- International Consultants of Delaware, Inc
109 Barksdale Professional Center
Newark, Delaware 19711